Recent surveys by human resource managers have identified a number of workplace issues facing employers and employees. These problems affect the work being done, employee morale, and overall company performance. Take a look at the top five workplace issues and see if your company faces any of these.
- Lack of Training- Many workers state that most employers do not offer any “real” job training. Even many new employees are not trained on the firm’s communication systems or account management systems. Most employees get sent to a desk and that’s it.
- The Right Tools- The average employee uses over 10 different tools to perform daily tasks. Make sure employees learn how to use new tools and know how the old and new tools work together. Then, make sure employees are actually using the tools to do important work.
- Emergency...What Emergency? - Today more than ever employers need to develop, communicate and plan for emergencies. Emergencies can include a natural event, security issue, or public health concern. Take the time to develop a plan of action to get people out of the facility and to account for everyone.
- Lack of Safety Procedures – Does your firm have written safety procedures for each job function? If not, you may be missing out on a more productive workforce. Studies show that employees, who have a clear understanding of the job including how to do it safely, perform better.
- Discrimination in the Workplace – Believe it or not, discrimination is a big issue with many workers. Legal protection against discrimination on the grounds of disability, sex, and race is now well established in the workplace. Age discrimination, however, remains a significant problem at work. A recent Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) survey revealed that 59% of employees believe they had been disadvantaged because of their age. It is estimated that age discrimination costs the economy between 19 billion and 31 billion a year in lost output.
Take time and score how your firm may be doing in these areas. Call us today about our Employment Liability Insurance options.