Can You Live Without Disaster Insurance?
Human caused disasters and natural disasters occur in every state. California has earthquakes and wild fires, Texas has flooding and hurricanes, the Northeast has winter storms and high winds, Florida has flooding and hurricanes, and the Midwest has flooding and tornados.
Insurance And Disasters
It is safe to say that most business and homeowner’s insurance policies do not cover the risks associated with disasters. The only exception would be damage caused by wildfires. Let’s look at how insurance might apply to other disasters.
- Floods-- Only 13% of U.S. homeowners had flood-insurance policies last year according to the Insurance Information Institute, a trade group. Flood insurance must be purchased through the National Flood Insurance Program. We can help you if you need the coverage.
- Earthquake-- While earthquakes occur mainly in certain areas, there are registered earthquakes in every state, every year. Earthquake insurance also must be added or purchased under a separate policy.
- Hurricanes-- Most property insurance policies provide coverage for losses resulting from hurricanes, except for flood loss associated with the hurricane. If you live in a high wind area, you will need to have a separate policy to cover your home and personal property.
- Mudslides-- A standard home insurance policy does not protect your home against damage caused by a mudslide. Mudslides are usually defined as ground movement. Heavy rains that cause a mudflow would typically be covered.
- Volcanoes-- Even if you live in Arizona, your homeowner’s insurance policy probably covers damage from an unlikely volcanic eruption.
- Heavy Rain and Storms-- Storms and water damage is covered under a typical homeowner’s policy. If flooding occurs, then the flood damage would be covered.
- Hail-- Most homeowner’s insurance policies provide coverage for losses resulting from hail.
- Wildfires-- It can be safe to say that all homeowner’s insurance covers loss resulting from a fire. Wildfires are considered a fire and would be covered.
Coverage disclaimer--the information provided here is for general purposes only. It is not our intent to change or modify insurance coverage. Each insurance policy is different and your individual coverage will be determined by the terms of your insurance policy.
Robert Bell Insurance Brokers offers the personal insurance products you need. Our professional agents will consult with you on the coverage and premiums that meet your specific needs. Feel free toget in touch or get a quote today.